Friday, March 19, 2010

Busy week

Well, eventful week in the world of writing research.

Sat. 3/13 - Surveys at the Chesapeake Public Library

I spent the morning at CPL handing out my research survey to exiting patrons. Interesting to say the least. People eyed me with a bit of suspicion at first, making an effort to avoid contact. I now know what those guys in cell phone kiosks at the mall feel like. I got the distinct sense that people thought I was trying to rope them into buying new windows or touring a timeshare. Fortunately, I'd made a sign that read: "Help and ODU Grad Student get an "A"--Take a Survey". Once people stopped to read, most seemed willing to spend 2 mins with me to complete the survey. I had 30 surveys and I was done for the day in less than 3 hours. Now, what to do with them?

Sun. 3/14 - Author interviews

Had a chance to speak with 2 notable novelists today. Due to confidentiality reasons, I cannot name them here (or anywhere), but I must say these interviews were wonderful experiences. They were very open about how ethnicity has shaped their publishing experience (each in their own different way) and I'm happy that they've opened themselves up to me for follow up if necessary. I have 3rd interview scheduled for 3/17 (this is one I'm most excited about, I LOVE this author's work).

Mon. 3/15 - Lit Review

I've actually been working on my Lit Review for a week. I'm not too intimidated, I've legitimately tried to make it as "scholarly" as possible. It's been a struggle adjusting to the intricacies of writing for academia (I'd much rather be plotting action and suspense), but we must do what we must do. I've got the Lit Review finished, I'll tweak it tomorrow.

Tue. 3/16 - Lit Review, part II

For better or worse, this is it. I'll turn it in tomorrow.

Wed. 3/17 - Interview #3

Turned in Lit Review. Author 3 had to reschedule interview.  Tomorrow it is ...

Thurs. 3/18

Today it isn't. Author 3 had to reschedule again. No biggie though, still don't know what to do with the data I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment